One Room Challenge Week 3: Paint, Curtains and Bed
The ice cream social bedroom is slowly but surely coming together!
After a week of repainting (yes, I decided to paint again!), building furniture and sewing curtains it is starting to shape up.
After last week's post I was feeling extremely frustrated, but I am so happy I decided to take the plunge and just repaint. The new color (BM Santa Barbara Green) provides a nice contrast with the trim and is an excellent backdrop for the blush tones I am using in the rest of the decor.
After the painting was complete, it was time to add the "chips" to our mint chocolate chip wall. I cut out 1 inch triangles from a roll of black vinyl, peeled off the backs and placed them randomly around.
The great thing about these little vinyl triangles is they will be easy to remove one day when we decide to redecorate. Because honestly a girl can only be in love with ice cream for so long!
And did you spy that adorable little pink chair? I found her at Home Goods last week and she is perfect in her pink and gold glory! All that is missing is a round rug for her to perch upon so now I am on the hunt.
On Saturday, I started building Emma's Kura bed from Ikea. It took 3-4 hours but I didn't mind one bit because I was watching one of my new favorite shows, Poldark. Have you seen it? I am obsessed. Anyway, I digress.... I actually do enjoy putting together Ikea furniture. Weird, huh? I find it soothing like putting together a giant puzzle.
I'm still waiting for the wallpaper to arrive. Emma requested sprinkles for her bed so I designed this pink and mint sprinkle pattern. Once the paper arrives, I will cover the white bed panels with it. I think it will pull the different colors together nicely.
After the bed was assembled it was time to sew the curtains. I started with these cabana striped curtains from PB Teen. I cut and hemmed them to make the valance and panels for the bed. They add the perfect "ice cream shop" vibe to the room.
I was sure that hanging the curtains would be a piece of cake using a tension rod, but the panels ended up being quite heavy and fell every time Emma tried to close them. Grrrr...... To remedy the problem I dug up some wire from the craft room and lashed the curtain rod to the bottom of the bed. And voila! It worked like a charm.
The best part of the room is going to be this little space under the bed. It is going to be so cool!!! The curtains have black out panels on the inside so it gets completely dark when they are closed. I am going to hang fairy lights inside with lots of comfy blankets and pillows. Hopefully it will be the perfect secret reading spot!
Between repainting, sewing curtains and putting the bed together I did sneak in a little watercolor painting time this week. I have been making lots of little water color ice cream paintings to use throughout the room. To see more check out my Instagram.
Next week, I will tackle painting this mid century hutch! I'm crazy excited to get it all painted and start styling those shelves.
I am going to paint the hutch white and cover the back panels with the pattern below. Another one that I designed myself and ordered from Spoonflower.
It is so fun to see this room finally starting to pull together. There is still lots of work to be done but it feels good to be half way!
See you next week!